Table of Contents:
- A Brief History of Roskillys
- The Dairy Farm
- The Ice Cream Production Process
- Flavors and Varieties
- Sustainability and Environmental Practices
- The Roskillys Experience
Ice cream is enjoyed by people of all ages for its delightful flavour and revitalising effects. It offers cosiness and warmth, making it more than just a dessert. A delightful dessert from Cornwall, Roskillys stands out from the numerous other ice cream makers. This comprehensive tour will take you on a trip from cow to cone, exploring the environmental practises, historical background, and delectable flavours that have made Roskillys Ice Cream so well-known in Cornwall and beyond.
2. A Brief History of Roskillys
A family-run business named Roskillys Ice Cream is located on the stunning Lizard Peninsula in Cornwall, England. The Roskilly family has been farming this lovely piece of land for many years. Their ice cream business began in the late 1980s when they decided to use the rich, premium milk from their herd of Jersey cows to manufacture ice cream.
What started off as a modest enterprise quickly gained recognition among locals and tourists. The Roskillys’ commercial success stemmed from their commitment to sustainable farming practises and their utilisation of locally sourced, natural components.
3. The Dairy Farm
The path to rich, delicious ice cream begins at the dairy farm owned by Roskillys. The family’s Jersey cows enjoy the benefits of Cornwall’s mild climate and pure air, as they graze on lush, green meadows. Roskillys’ ice cream is made with excellent milk that comes from these happy cows.
The farm generates more than just milk; it is a thriving ecosystem that values environmental sustainability highly. The Roskillys have embraced ecologically conscious agricultural practises, such as establishing wildlife conservation zones and utilising renewable energy sources, to reduce their carbon impact.
4. The Ice Cream Production Process
The ability to make ice cream from fresh milk is something Roskillys has mastered. In their production method, they blend traditional craftsmanship with state-of-the-art technology. Here’s a look at how Roskillys uses their premium milk to make their delectable ice cream:
- Milk Gathering: The voyage commences with the gathering of their Jersey cows’ fresh milk. The ice cream’s creamy texture is a result of Jersey milk’s high butterfat level.
- Pasteurisation: To get rid of any dangerous bacteria and keep the rich, natural flavour, the milk is gently pasteurised.
- Mixing components: Pasteurised milk is combined with sugar, fresh cream, and other natural components. To provide a taste that is authentic to Cornwall, Roskillys takes delight in using ingredients that are sourced locally.
- Homogenization: This procedure provides the combination a consistent texture, prevents ice crystals from growing, and creates the velvety, smooth texture of the ice cream.
- Ageing: The ice cream base is aged to allow flavours to meld and intensify in order to produce a richer, more indulgent flavour.
- Freezing: Next, a tiny amount of the mature mixture is agitated and put into the freezer. This process is crucial to achieving the trademark creamy texture of Roskillys.
- Add-Ins: Depending on the flavour, ice cream may contain chocolate chunks, fruit swirls, or pieces of homemade fudge blended in.
- Packaging: The freshly churned ice cream is packed in eco-friendly containers and kept at freezing temperatures to preserve its quality.
5. Flavors and Varieties
A wide variety of delectable flavours are available at Roskillys to suit a wide range of palates. There is something for everyone, whether you enjoy chocolate, fruit, or traditional vanilla. Some of their delicious flavours are as follows:
- Vanilla: The traditional option, created with actual vanilla beans for a fragrant and rich flavour.
- Clotted cream: A very creamy speciality from Cornwall.
- Honeycomb Crunch: A delicious blend of creamy ice cream with honeycomb toffee.
- Raspberry Ripple: Tart raspberry sauce ripples in smooth ice cream.
- Mint Choc Chip: Crisp mint ice cream with chocolate chips scattered throughout.
- Blackcurrant Cheesecake: Swirls of blackcurrant sauce across creamy cheesecake ice cream.
- Warm and decadent, Ginger & Treacle is the ideal flavour for chilly nights.
Every trip to Roskillys ice cream parlour is an adventure since they are always coming up with new ideas and offering seasonal flavours that highlight the best of Cornwall’s produce.
6. Sustainability and Environmental Practices
The fundamental tenet of Roskillys‘ business strategy is environmental responsibility. They recognise the value of lessening their carbon footprint and protecting Cornwall’s natural beauty. They have adopted the following sustainable practises, to name a few:
- Renewable Energy: Solar panels and wind turbines are two of the renewable energy sources that run the farm and ice cream factory.
- Waste Reduction: By recycling, reusing, and repurposing resources, Roskillys aims to reduce waste.
- Wildlife Conservation: The farm has areas set aside for the protection of wildlife, which helps to maintain the natural ecology and promote biodiversity in the area.
- Decreased Food Miles: Roskillys lessens the environmental effect of shipping by procuring food locally.
- Eco-Friendly Packaging: To further lessen the influence of their products on the environment, Roskillys employs biodegradable packaging.
- Community Engagement: The business collaborates with nearby businesses and supports local activities as part of its active engagement with the community.
In addition to making delicious ice cream, Roskillys is dedicated to sustainability, which includes improving the local community and the environment.
7. The Roskillys Experience
More than simply a cone of ice cream awaits you when you visit Roskillys; it’s an experience. Their farm, which is set in the gorgeous countryside of Cornwall, has a range of amenities and activities to offer:
- The Ice Cream Parlour is a charming spot to savour your ice cream while taking in the breathtaking views of the farm and the surrounding landscape.
- Farm Tours: Guests can go on guided tours of the farm to learn about the sustainable practises used there, the Jersey cows, and how ice cream is made.
- Observing Wildlife: Take a tour of the protected areas and pay attention to the local fauna.
- Nature pathways: Enjoy peaceful vistas and an opportunity to get in touch with nature as you stroll or ride on the pathways that wind around the farm.
- Gift Shop: Choose from a variety of regionally produced goods, such as Roskillys ice cream and mementos with farm scenes.
- Play Area: Roskillys is a family-friendly attraction because to its playground.
- Café: In addition to ice cream, the café serves a range of foods and drinks that are produced locally.
An excellent way to spend a day in Cornwall is to visit Roskillys, where you can taste delicious ice cream, take in the scenery, and discover sustainable agricultural practises.
Roskillys Ice Cream has won over many people’s hearts and palates with its transition from a traditional dairy farm on the Lizard Peninsula to an ice cream phenomenon enjoyed across Cornwall and beyond. Their dedication to sustainability, quality, and the neighbourhood community is what sets them apart.
Remember the Roskillys family’s commitment to protecting the environment, helping the neighbourhood, and making some of the creamiest and most delicious ice cream in the world as you savour every spoonful of their excellent ice cream. The next time you’re in Cornwall, make sure to visit Roskillys and experience the magic that goes into each scoop of their delicious ice cream by following the trip from cow to cone.